Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate Backyard Birding Blog earns from qualifying purchases made via links on our website.
Fly through bird feeders are a type of platform bird feeder with an open wooden (though sometimes metal or ceramic) frame.
You can get them in a large range of different styles, from those with plain apex roofs through modern metal feeders to elaborate gazebo-type designs. So whatever your taste, you’re sure to be able to find a feeder that matches it.
Advantages Of Fly Through Bird Feeders
Fly through bird feeders have a number of advantages over other types when it comes to backyard birding:
- If you want to attract as wide a variety of wild birds as possible then they’re one of the best options. You’ll find your fly through feeder will encourage visits from both perch feeders and also ground feeders.
- They attract the shyest of birds too.
- Observing the birds on the platform is easy.
- Fly through bird feeders are also the easiest type of feeder to put up and fill. They simply sit on a pedestal or you mount them on a bird feeder pole. To put out the seed or food, all you need to do is simply place it on the platform and that’s it – job done! So they’re ideal feeders for novice birders.
- Because of the wide range of designs on the market, it’s easy to find a feeder that blends well with the style and tone of your yard.
Disadvantages Of Fly Through Bird Feeders
The main drawback of fly through bird feeders is that they’re open. They’re susceptible to weather damage and they’re accessible to larger birds who may dominate and scare away any smaller birds. In addition, they’re very easily accessible for squirrels and other rodents and predators although there are ways of dealing with this.
- Holds up to 2 lbs. Of Sunflower seed
- Metal mesh fly - Through bird feeder with 2 fly through feeding stations will encourage many feeding birds!
- Two in one feeder for birds to rest as well as feed
- Mesh on all four sides makes bird watching that much more visible
- Holds Sunflower seed or peanuts
- Attract your favorite backyard birds, just fill this simple yet versatile feeder with the mix of your choice
- Open design creates plenty of perching space to allow many birds to feed at once
- Roof provides cover to keep food dry and birds protected from the elements as they eat
- Arrives fully assembled and ready to hang and fill with your choice of food
- Crafted from high-quality poly lumber, this house will not split, crack or fade; Dimensions are 16 x 13 x 11
- Perfect size for feathered friends: 6.5-inch sphere with two 3-inch diameter openings for replacing seed and easy access to birds; Includes 12-inch long hanging wire; Weighs 1.3 pounds; Holds approximately 1 cup of small birdseed blend; Please note, the amount of food may vary depending on the type of seed you use
- Designed for the outdoors: Bird feeder features a summery design made from red, green, blue, and orange mosaic glass; Mosaic is held together with strong mortar; Makes a colorful and functional piece of outdoor decor
- Everything included to set up: Includes 1 round mosaic glass bird feeder with 1 steel hanging wire; The included wire makes it easy to hang the feeder to enhance your backyard, patio, lawn, deck, or balcony
- Easy to fill: Two 3-inch diameter openings make it easy to fill the feeder with seeds; Also gives birds easy access to quickly fly away; Small drainage hole in bottom of feeder keeps seed dry on rainy days
- Worry-free purchasing: Sunnydaze Decor backs its products with a 1-year manufacturer's warranty for worry-free purchasing